Oriental medicine has a long history when it comes to enhancing fertility for both men and women. In fact, evidence that acupuncture and herbal medicine have been used to aid fertility can be found in early medical literature dating back to 3AD.
How Acupuncture Can Enhance Fertility
According to the principles of Oriental medicine, a person's health is determined by the quality of Qi, the vital life energy, and blood circulating through the body. When Qi and blood are circulating properly, the body is properly nourished and functioning optimally which, in turn, enhances fertility.
Researchers have confirmed its benefit in the following
· Regulate menstrual cycle
· Improve sperm count and motility
· Reduce stress and anxiety associated with infertility
· Normalize hormone and endocrine systems
· Improve blood flow in the uterus
· Decrease chance of miscarriage
· Increase the chance of pregnancy for women undergoing in vitro fertilization (IVF)
Fertility treatments vary from person to person, but are usually scheduled for at least three consecutive cycles (twelve weeks). Treatments can include acupuncture, customized herbal therapy, stress reduction and dietary counseling. Treatments work alone but are an excellent addition to any Western intervention.